This week on The Good Life Project, we welcome Sharon Salzberg, a renowned meditation and loving kindness teacher and founder of Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts. She travels the world teaching people how to become aware and cultivate loving kindness in their lives.
Sharon also recently partnered with Dan Harris to bring her latest venture to life, 10% Happier, an exciting new app that builds on Dan’s book, 10% Happier.
Today, Sharon and I dive into her inspiring path to peace and love and her journey to help others achieve the same. A journey that involved a pilgrimage to India, where she’s meet not only her teacher, but a small group of students who, along with her, would eventually rise up to become some of the world’s greatest teachers.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- How Sharon’s difficult childhood set in motion a deeper quest.
- Why Sharon went to India, what she hoped to find, and the surprises that awaited.
- How Sharon ended up in the town of Buddha’s birth with a small group of students who would become some of the world’s greatest teachers.
- What called Sharon back to the U.S. and why she decided to found the Insight Meditation Center in Barre, MA.
- What lovingkindness meditation really is and the unusual way Sharon practices it.
- How Sharon became involved with Dan Harris and the 10% Happier app.
- Why you need to take care of yourself in order to show others kindness.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Connect with Sharon: Insight Meditation Society | Facebook | Twitter | 10% Happier App
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works – A True Story by Dan Harris
- Daniel Goleman
- Susan Piver
- Ram Dass
- Jack Kornfield
- Linda Stone
Be sure to subscribe to our weekly Good Life Updates and listen on iTunes to make sure you never miss an episode!
Photo credit: Christine Alicino