I’m fascinated by the idea of snap decisions, how some can lead to amazing outcomes, and others can destroy lives. What you so often find is that nothing actually happens in a moment, there is no real snap, but rather a series of experiences leading up to it, often years in the making, were as much authors of the moment as the instance itself. And, sometimes, when those moments lead to something you’ll regret for a lifetime, you get to the next question – what is recoverable – redeemable – how do you make that happen, and who gets to write the story of your reclamation?
This is the powerful thru line of my conversation with Shaka Senghor, New York Times bestselling author of Writing My Wrongs: Life, Death, and Redemption in an American Prison. A leading voice on criminal justice reform, tech investor, head of Diversity, Equality & Inclusion at TripActions, former MIT Media Lab Director’s Fellow, and member of Oprah Winfrey’s SuperSoul 100, he took another young man’s life at the age of 19, served the next two decades in prison, 7 in solitary, and through a series of awakenings, began to unwind the pieces of his life and begin the process of understanding, reassembling and eventually redemption.
In the decade since his release from prison, he has started and worked with nonprofits seeking to lift people up, visited the White House, been interviewed by Trevor Noah and Oprah Winfrey, and given award-winning TED Talks, all with the goal of building a more inspired, just, fulfilling future. His latest book, Letters to the Sons of Society: A Father’s Invitation to Love, Honesty, and Freedom invites men everywhere on a journey of honesty and healing through this book of moving letters to his sons.
If you LOVED this episode:
- You’ll also love the conversations we had with Ani DiFranco about our current system of justice and how it relates to expression, personal narratives, and human dignity.
Check out our offerings & partners:
- My New Book Sparked
- My New Podcast SPARKED
- Nutrafol: You can grow thicker, healthier hair AND support our show by going to Nutrafol.com and entering the promo code GLP to save $15 off your first month’s subscription – this is their best offer anywhere and it’s only available to US customers for a limited time. Plus FREE shipping on EVERY order.
- KiwiCo: KiwiCo delivers science and art projects for kids of all ages. Step into spring and celebrate the season of discovery with a KiwiCo subscription! Get 30% off your first month plus FREE shipping on ANY crate line with code GOODLIFE at kiwico.com.
- Monday.com: Monday.com Work OS is an open platform where anyone can create the tools they need to run every aspect of their work. Leave your limits behind and discover what you can accomplish with Monday.com Work OS. To start your free 14-day trial go to monday.com/podcast
- IMPACT: IMPACT makes it easy to find and invest in companies that share your values, helping to better align your portfolio with the kind of world you want to create. Trade your way to the world you want with IMPACT by Interactive Brokers. Download the app today and use code GLP to get $30 of stock credit. Disclaimers and Disclosures: Note: The podcast ad for the IMPACT app is unscripted and being recorded live. It may contain some slight differences. Please visit https://impact.interactivebrokers.com/ for full details of products and services. Interactive Brokers, LLC member FINRA/SIPC. The projections or other information generated by IMPACT app regarding the likelihood of various investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual investment results and are not guarantees of future results. Please note that results may vary with use of the tool over time. The paid ad host experiences and testimonials within the Podcast may not be representative of the experiences of other customers and are not to be considered guarantees of future performance or success. The opinions provided within the ad belong to the host alone.