Traveling the world, especially for an extended period, may be a luxury you only dream about or can only do every few years. But, what if there was a way to make it happen? And, way sooner, and for less money than you ever imagined? Or, what if there’s a way to evoke that sense of wonder and curiosity that travel brings out of us without leaving our immediate neighborhood?
What would it look like to keep the spirit of the journey or travel alive at home, using it to engage with and learn from the community that’s right in front of us in a new and meaningful way? My guest today, Rolf Potts, is a firm believer in the life-altering benefits of travel – even if that means driving heading just a few blocks outside your normal routine – and how we can use adventure as a metaphor for life itself, and I’m excited to dive deeper into his philosophies and stories about life, travel, and wonder.
As a travel writer and author, his adventures have taken him across six continents, where he’s reported from more than sixty countries for major outlets like the National Geographic Traveler, The New Yorker, The Guardian, National Public Radio, and the Travel Channel. He even spent 6-weeks traveling around the world without a single piece of baggage. Rolf is perhaps best known for promoting the ethic of independent travel, and many of his essays have been selected as “Notable Mentions” in The Best American Essays, The Best American Nonrequired Reading, and The Best American Travel Writing.
Rolf has shared much of his wisdom and travel stories in his books Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel and his newest release, The Vagabond’s Way: 366 Meditations on Wanderlust, Discovery, and the Art of Travel. In our conversation today, we explore Rolf’s strategies for doing immersive travel in a meaningful way, uncover the ways anyone, even those who can’t travel, can use the vagabond mindset to disrupt their routines at home, and we touch on a few moments of adventure and curiosity that have shaped and inspired us.
You can find Rolf at: Website | Instagram | Deviate with Rolf Potts Podcast
If you LOVED this episode:
- You’ll also love the conversations we had with Tim Ferriss about centering humanity and love in work and life.
Check out our offerings & partners:
- My New Book Sparked
- My New Podcast SPARKED
- Visit Our Sponsor Page For a Complete List of Vanity URLs & Discount Codes.
- Indeed: Connect with your talent audience so you can make more quality hires faster. Start hiring NOW with a $100 sponsored job credit to sponsor your job post at Indeed.com/GLP. Offer good for a limited time. Terms and conditions apply. Need to hire? You need Indeed.
- Cozey: The comfortable sofa made for modern living. Cozey is a Canadian company that makes modular sofas-in-a-box that are shipped fast and for free across Canada. Design the perfect sofa for your space and have it shipped to your door for free. Assembly is tool-free and super easy. Visit Cozey.ca to start your 30-day risk-free trial.
- Shopify: Try Shopify FREE and start a business or grow an existing one. Get more than e-commerce software with tools to manage every part of your business. Sign up for a FREE trial at Shopify.com/GOODLIFE to start selling online today.