As she recovered and started to stitch her life back together, she began working with her mom, Maryann Fons, a legend in the world of quilting and author of what has become known as the “Quilter’s Bible.”
Simultaneously rebuilding her health while building her own name as a leading voice in the massive quilting world, she began speaking, writing books, designing textiles and producing media and appearing regularly on television with her mother. Still, she knew deep down that quilting wasn’t her dream. Writing and spoken-word began to call her back to a more deeply ingrained destiny.
We recorded this conversation at a major point of inflection for Mary. She was about to make a huge move, and in a way, this conversation is her announcement. As we wrap up, Mary also reads a powerful spoken word piece that landed her writing and poetry big attention and accolades. You don’t want to miss this.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- The mind-blowing statistics behind the world of quilting.
- The catastrophic illness and events that changed Mary’s life forever.
- How Mary has learned to handle the stress of living her life in her niche’s public eye.
- How Mary navigated the tricky path to becoming a success in the shadow of a legendary woman and finding her way in the world of quilting.
- How to be successful and earn a living in quilting.
- How performing, improv and spoken word entered her life.
- Why Mary has decided to make the leap from writing to writing.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Connect with Mary: Mary Fons | Blog | Quilty | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram
- Fons & Porter
- Make & Love Quilts: Scrap Quilts for the 21st Century by Mary Fons
- Quilter’s Complete Guide by Marianne Porter & Liz Fons
- Creative Mornings
- QuiltCon West
- The Modern Quilt Guild
- The Neo-Futurists: Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind
- Mark Twain
- Write Club
Photo credit: Joe Mazza, BraveLux