What if, instead of trying to fit in and be accepted, you embraced and harnessed the power of your inner outlier? How could you leverage different experiences and environments to turn the parts of you that no one else can replicate from a potential source of exclusion into a superpower and differentiator?
In today’s episode with my guest, Julian Gilliam, who goes by the artist name, LOGIK, we explore these ideas in the context of LOGIK’s upbringing, living in 9 different places and having to constantly adapt, to his work as both a change-maker and creative innovator in the world of advertising and media, a Creative Director for Google, as an artist and painter who creates stunning lifesize works, and has recently been making giant waves in the world of art, community, Web3, and NFTs.
And all the while, he’s done it by immersing himself in different experiences and cultures, including Japanese art and language, studying the dynamics and often unspoken social context, then rather than trying to fit in, bringing his full self, often as an outside and outlier, to the quest to create incredible moments of innovation, emotion, and awakening.
I’m fascinated by LOGIK’s complexity as a skilled artist, the powerful direction he’s taking NFTs and the decisions he’s currently making as he steps fully into this brand new digital creative world. Toward the end of our conversation, at around the hour mark, he brings us to a point of how art and digital collide in a way that changes the relationship between art and collectors. This was a particularly potent part of the conversation in that, LOGIK reveals his philosophy around building a solid foundation as an artist and also building the relationships and structure needed to support longevity for the projects you’re undertaking. He truly brings a new lens to the creative life and how to bring together many people, voices, and communities to both drive change and support expression.
If you LOVED this episode:
- You’ll also love the conversations we had with Lisa Congdon about building a career in the arts as an outlier.
Check out our offerings & partners:
- My New Book Sparked | My New Podcast SPARKED
- Visit Our Sponsor Page For a Complete List of Vanity URLs & Discount Codes.
- The Sound Bath: Introducing The Sound Bath, a Lush Cosmetics podcast that explores what personal, social, and environmental care and wellbeing really mean in today’s society. In thought-provoking and intimate discussions with some of her favorite authors, artists, activists and experts, surrealist blues poet and host Aja Monet dives deep into ideas that transform and reveal us. This podcast is designed to be enjoyed in the bath and each episode includes a built-in music meditation.
- Indeed: Connect with your talent audience so you can make more quality hires faster. Post your job, interview candidates, and make offers all on Indeed. Get started right now with a FREE $75 sponsored job credit to upgrade your job post at Indeed.com/GOODLIFE. Offer valid through April 30th. Terms and conditions apply.