So, what’s your biggest secret? And, what’s the cost you’ve been bearing for living, or trying to live, under its weight?
For many of us, it’s wrapped around our identity. There’s something about us we don’t want others to know. The idea of being your 100% authentic self, meaning no secrets, no masks, and no pretending, in front of your family, of all people, is something that sounds terrifying, if not impossible. But, what if the opposite were true? What if living behind the facade was actually the more brutalizing experience, one that sustains, possibly for years, decades, even life? In contrast to the momentary or even season of disruption incited by coming out as your true self, yet followed by a lifetime of liberation?
That’s where we’re headed in today’s conversation with Jessi Hempel, whose own revelation about her sexual identity, became the first in a chain of “coming out” events that touched every member of her family. Jessi is the host of the award-winning podcast Hello Monday, and she’s a senior editor-at-large at LinkedIn. For nearly two decades, Jessi has been writing and editing stories about work, life, and meaning in the digital age, profiling many of the biggest names in industry, and appearing on major networks like CNN, PBS, Fox, and CNBC.
Jessi’s striking upcoming memoir, The Family Outing, is a fascinating look into Jessi’s seemingly picture-perfect American family, whose lives slowly start to unravel after a series of coming outs. In our chat, we uncover universal revelations, like seeing and realizing the humanity in your parents for the first time and the liberation that comes with claiming your whole truths—even in the face of uncertainty. Jessi opens up about the complexities of growing up with two parents struggling with emotional turmoil and learning to embrace her imperfect family as each of them shed their secrets and found, or rediscovered, their place in the world.
You can find Jessi at: LinkedIn | Hello Monday with Jessi Hempel podcast
If you LOVED this episode:
- You’ll also love the conversations we had with Jake Wesley Rogers about bringing all parts of himself to work and life.
Check out our offerings & partners:
- My New Book Sparked
- My New Podcast SPARKED
- Visit Our Sponsor Page For a Complete List of Vanity URLs & Discount Codes.
- Solo Stove: Make more backyard memories with solo stove’s award-winning fire pits, stoves, & grills. Prepare for your best outdoor memories yet and save big during the Solo Stove Fall Event. Plus, use promo code GLP at SoloStove.com for an extra $10 off.
- Sleep Number: Why choose proven quality sleep from Sleep Number? Because to be your best every day, you need proven quality sleep every night. And now, don’t miss Sleep Numbers Special Introductory Offer on the NEW Climate360™ smart bed! Only at Sleep Number® stores or sleepnumber.com/GOODLIFE.
- IKEA: Find affordable furniture and home goods at IKEA! Discover furnishings and inspiration to create a better life at home. And now sign up for IKEA Family for free and save 5% in-store on eligible purchases. Every visit. Every day! Explore even more new benefits at IKEA-USA.com/Family. Offer valid starting 9/1/2022. Limited to qualifying purchases, exclusions apply. Not valid on services. Discount applied in-store only, before tax, shipping, and handling. Cannot be combined with coupons. Visit IKEA-USA.com/Family for more details.