Could Your Smartphone Be Destroying Your Focus? Have our attention spans, will power, mood and productivity just become hopelessly derailed for life? Answer is, it depends. What we do about our rapidly-diminishing attention and its effect on our work, lives, health, and relationships is mission critical.
In today’s world, we’re constantly bombarded by digital distractions. From emails and social media notifications to the constant buzzing of our smartphones, our attention spans are dwindling to an average of 46 seconds on a screen, before our attention flitters off to something or someone else. But what if the key to regaining control over your focus lies not only in your own habits but also in the way you interact with your devices?
Our guest today is Gloria Mark whose new book, Attention Span: A Groundbreaking Way to Restore Balance, Happiness and Productivity reveals surprising results from her decades of research into how technology affects our attention and how we can take control, not only to find more success in our careers, but also to find health and wellness in our everyday lives.
Gloria is Chancellor’s Professor of Informatics at the University of California, Irvine, and a visiting senior researcher at Microsoft Research. With a Ph.D. in psychology from Columbia University, she studies the impact of digital media on people’s lives, including attention spans, multitasking, distraction, mood, and behavior when using computers and smartphones. Her work has been featured in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, NPR, The Atlantic, the BBC, and more.
In this intriguing conversation, you’ll discover:
- The alarming effect of digital multitasking on our ability to focus and the implications for our mental health.
- The power of mindfulness practices in helping to combat digital distractions and build a stronger attention muscle.
- How the “future self” concept can be utilized to motivate ourselves to stay on task and resist the temptation of digital distractions.
- Simple yet effective environmental changes, such as turning off notifications, can make a significant difference in our ability to concentrate.
- The importance of deep, meaningful connections with others in living a fulfilling and creative life.
If you LOVED this episode:
- You’ll also love the conversations we had with Johann Hari on how to reclaim focus.
Check out our offerings & partners:
- My New Book Sparked
- My New Podcast SPARKED. To submit your “moment & question” for consideration to be on the show go to sparketype.com/submit.
- Visit Our Sponsor Page For Great Resources & Discount Codes