Imagine having just about everything you wanted – a great job, making a lot of money, being able to get as much “stuff” as you want – and then, ending up miserable. That’s the plight of today’s guests, Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus, also known as The Minimalists.
What started as an awakening to a different way of life, built around value, rather than accumulation, has now grow into a blog with millions of readers at TheMinimalists.com, a popular Minimalism, book a top-rated podcast and now a fantastic new documentary called Minimalism.
This week’s conversation goes deep into Ryan and Joshua’s journey, both personally and as friends, into the exploration of what Minimalism really is and is not and how it can change not only your life, but life as we know it.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why minimalism is not actually about giving everything up.
- Ryan and Joshua’s 5th-grade “fat kid bond” that launched their 20+ year-long friendship.
- How Ryan came up with the “$50,000 Equation” that would (theoretically) help them reach their dreams and set them free.
- Why reaching that goal made him completely miserable and caused him to lose sight of what life is all about.
- Joshua’s epiphany after his mother’s tragic passing that set him on the path to minimalism.
- The true benefits of minimalism (they’re not what you think).
- How Joshua’s 21-day downsizing journey led to creating TheMinimalists.com.
- How Ryan and Joshua’s brand expanded to different mediums to spread their message.
- How they define value that an item may add to their lives.
- Ryan and Joshua’s process for choosing which projects they should take on at any given time.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Connect with Ryan and Joshua: www.TheMinimalists.com | podcast | documentary
- Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus
- Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus
- Clutterfree with Kids: Change your thinking. Discover new habits. Free your home. by Joshua Becker
- Exile Lifestyle, by Colin Wright
- Becoming Minimalist by Joshua Becker
- Be More with Less by Courtney Carver
Be sure to subscribe to our weekly Good Life Updates and listen on iTunes to make sure you never miss an episode!